||[Aug. 9th, 2005|08:19 am]
The most fantastic of all muppets in the land
I'm sporting some major bugbites, but it was completely worth it for the weekend I had.
- AJ and I were the only ones who actually wore the overalls ALL weekend long. Chris and Rick totally didn't. Suckers.
- Friday night's delicious meal - who would have thought you could cook such awesome food in the woods?
- On Friday night, the fire started dying, so Rick decided it needed some more fuel. He dumped fuel on the fire, which in turn went up into the fuel can. Rick shook the can, sending little tufts of fire all over the campsite and, incidentally, straight onto my foot. I had walked over the get something from the back of the truck, so had no idea what had transpired until I felt searing heat on my foot. I yelled for water and doused my foot. All of a sudden, I saw flashlights and heard "macho man" voices. It was the rangers, making their entrance at the exact wrong time. One spotted Patrick's throwing knife and said "That doesn't look like a camping knife," to which Patrick matter-of-factly replied "No, it's a throwing knife!" They then became obsessed with seeing all of our ids, which then became the theme for the weekend. "Do you have your id?" "Does that apple have its id?" "Does that fire have an id?" You get the picture. Anyhow, they left without major incident and we were back to the business of drinking. Rick showed us his hand and I swept into "Mom" mode as soon as I saw his thumb and forefinger were charred and already beginning to blister. Yes, kids, we learned a real lesson that night: Don't just throw fucking fuel out of a can on a fire.
- Falling asleep in a tent surrounded by the sounds of the woods.
- Not waking up to an alarm clock. Waking up when you damn well please to light filtered through trees and the sound of morning animals.
- Learning the most fun game ever, which I am going to play next time I am in a pool. "Whopper.....uhhhhh....*giggle*" "Maki Maki"
***break: My cat just took a huge crap, and I can smell it all the way in the office. Sgt. Grumbles craps like a man!***
- We scrambled up Cunningham Falls, which can hardly be called "falls," then being imagined to be a polar bear by tourists Megan, Chris, Nick, and Rick. Can't wait to see those photos. When we came back down, Patrick told us about some douchebag who thought he was the Falls police.
- The tragic death of the salamander at the hands (feet?) of Nick Rose.
- DRINKING ALL NIGHT IN THE WOODS.
- I learned how to make perfect marshmallow roasting sticks.
- A midnight snack of toasted cheese sandwiches made over the fire.
- Did I mention drinking all night in the woods?
That's all for right now. Those who were there: what were your favorite parts?